Monday, August 4

Memphis Monday: FRIENDLY JOGGERS

My friend Corrine and I have been going jogging in the wee hours of the morning (4:45 am!!) the past two weeks. Because of the terrible Memphis heat, we have to go that early. While it's extremely difficult to get out of bed, I have enjoyed spending more time with Corrine, getting my exercising done before my day really starts, but most of all I've enjoyed seeing the same faces every time we go.

Corrine and I have started to recognize the stalwart few: "The Kenyan" who walks the track but somehow keeps pace with our jog; the woman who goes alone every morning and always has a friendly word for us as we go by; two middle-aged men, one always wearing a baseball hat, who banter and chuckle along the path. There are others, but those are the regulars. We look for their cars and are always grateful when they show up, feeling more confident when we aren't alone. Memphis gets a bad rap, if you don't think there are friendly people in this city, you aren't waking up early enough! Come and join us any morning at Freeman Park!

Hopefully I'll someday look like the woman in this picture, keep your fingers crossed!

10 comments:

Caitlyn said...

That's so fun! I made a new friend that I go walking with every night. We don't jog because I'm not that ambitious and she's almost 7 months pregnant! I was suprised when she said she wanted to go with me, because when I was that far I just wanted to sit around, but I'm glad she's not as lazy as me!
And Will and I are seriously thinking of moving to Cordova when I graduate, which I guess is on the other side of the city from you or something. There's an ITT-Tech there. I'm nervous about the crime. We'll have to talk sometime!

insi said...

Thanks for the photo comment, I appreciate your compliment! My little kits are a never ending source of beauty, as I'm sure you feel about lovely lady Adelyn. So why not document, you know? I've always been one to keep a log of the good.

This jogging world in Freeman Park is fantastic, very cool! Good for you, sista.

xoxox

Tiff Rudd said...

4:45 seriously!?! I'm impressed, but definitely going to pass on that one! :)

Katie said...

oh and here i was thinking i was awesome for getting up at 6:30. um, by the way, it's me - katie hale. i thought i should probably post a comment so i won't feel like a stalker. :-) oh - thanks again for the bounce bounce baby seat - luke loves it. ok - he's grabbing the computer now..... BYE

shhluke said...

I just found out you had a blog! I'm very impressed by yours and Corrine's dedication in going. I keep telling myself that after the baby comes my body will let me wake up before 7 and I'll get to join you. We'll see...

Hillary said...

So how are yours and Jason's resolutions going? I hope well. Keep up the good work with the jogging. I think I would've given up all together once the heat kicked in.

Philip, Melissa, & Summer said...

Good for you Jana. I am thinking of running a half marathon, and I am worried because running for the first time since being pregnant with Scott was really hard. I thought I was going to die. This is good encouragement.

Allison said...

Jana,

I love friendly joggers/regulars. I think that they provide good motivation to keep on going. I am sure that they are glad to see you too!

Pays said...

Jana, This is Lori from the old S.P 9th ward. How are you? I randomly found your blog. So good to see your cute family! We have a blog also, it is:payday-pays.blogspot.com we have some links there for old ward members as well. I see you have Trina's. I would love for you to pass on the news, since hers is private. Hope to hear from you!

Jared, Miranda and Max said...

A-mazing! I can't remember the last time I got up that early of my own free will. You're definitely giving me some reasons to start though. I feel so much more energized when I start my day with a run- and there seems to be more of it, (go figure). If you're interested, I just finished reading my favorite running book yet- chi running by danny dryer. Its great! I love his pointers on form and his philosophy on running overall. Its really helped me get the most out of my runs. Take care! -Miranda (now that Jared and I are in Cleveland we should come visit!)