Thursday, August 30

Freakland and Orientation










So Jana didn't mention much of our trip to Memphis--so I wanted to fill in a couple of blanks. Dad and Mom came down with us, and as Jana said, they were so helpful and it was so much to explore Memphis with them when we got down here.

On our way to Memphis we went to a mystical place called Prairie Dog Land, I think it was the only thing in Kansas--I like to think of it as the Land of Fascination meets the World of White Trash. Basically, a guy went and trapped a bunch prairie dogs, and let them go in the back of his store, and then caught a bunch of other animals and caged them up, and then made a bunch of cows commit incest so that he could come up with genetically deformed creatures. Believe it or not this guy has a five-legged and six-legged cow (supposedly the only one in the world). All he asks is you pay $6.75 for admission to see his freak show.

As you can see from these pictures, the five legged cow has a leg growing out of the top of it's neck, and the six-legged cow has two little legs growing out from where it's bum hole should be.


On a different note: I started orientation at optometry school today, and it all seems very daunting. I found out that anything lower than a 70% is an F in all of my classes! And EVERYTHING is comprehensive--anything we learn our first week, we'll have to remember our 4th year. But I am SO EXCITED!! It's cool to be around so many people that have the same career goals--and it's not cutthroat--like one of the professor's said "the weeding out already occurred during the application and interview process!!" Although it'll still be tough, it'll be so great to start learning about what I'm actually going into!! I also met someone from Green Bay, WI at orientation--and she is selling Packers tickets, now I just need to figure out how we can afford how to get out there and pay for the tickets (Dane!)

I'm also starting a work study job at SCO, it'll be crazy to start out--there is so much stuff to remember. I went to train for my job, and my boss talked for about an hour and a half about all the things to remember, just with insurance plans we take from the patients!! But I think I will enjoy it, I'll only work 4-6 hrs. a week, and I'll learn skills that will be beneficial in my profession.

2 comments:

Erica Yates said...

I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Hillary said...

Jason, I didn't realize you were such a Packers fan. I guess it is good that we live in Wi. It would only be a couple more hours north for you to drive if you stayed with us and then Jana could hang out with us if she didn't want to go to Green Bay to watch football (I know she's not the greatest of fans).