Monday, September 15

Memphis Monday: DELICIOUS WATER

Us Memphians are privileged to have award-winning water flowing from our taps. It is delicious! Pour me a great big cup, especially after having been sitting in the fridge, and I'm one happy girl! This is the best drinking water I've ever had straight from the faucet. Mmm...


I just did a little preliminary research online to find out why we have such great water. It seems our city sits on top of the Memphis aquifer. My sister-in-law Heather could explain this much better (she's a hydrogeologist), but an aquifer is a layer of permeable rock beneath the surface that contains water. The more porous the rock, the more water it contains. Wells are dug into the natural aquifers and water pumped out. The Memphis aquifer is HUGE (it contains over 100 trillion gallons of water, by some estimates) and is known to hold some of the best water in the nation. Many industries located in Memphis have moved here just because of our wonderful water supply. Lucky us!

6 comments:

THE BLAIRS said...

Wow. i had no clue.. I did notice the water was pretty good here. Ps congrats on the calling! aren't you excited?!

Anonymous said...

Neat whats your new calling he he ..

Tiff Rudd said...

WOW! So I don't have time to blog for a few weeks and look at all I missed! Obviously the delicious water is the most important, but I also loved the adorable pictures of Addie and her necklaces and it was fun to see pictures of your mini vacation! Oh, and I love the new blog background!

P.S. I agree, our water is yummy and it is nice not to need a water softener!

Zach and Nikky said...

So, it took us months to get used to the water out here! We absolutely hated it for awhile and have finally gotten used to it. Guess we couldn't taste the goodness...ha ha! It was fun to hang out with you last night!

Heather said...

You did a perfectly lovely job explaining how aquifers work. I hope the city and region is working hard to protect their resource. Is Memphis part of the Ogallalla aquifer?

Jared, Miranda and Max said...

Hey- that is cool! I thought we had great water in WA.... I wonder how it stacks up against Memphis's. And to think that Beaver Utah claims the best water in the nation. Ha!