Monday, September 29

Memphis Monday: GROWING CLIMATE?

Memphis, fortunately, stays warm longer than any place I've lived. This gives us new gardeners a bit more time to figure out what the heck we're supposed to be doing.


I have been growing tomato plants since April in buckets on our porch. I lovingly planted the seeds, repotted them twice, and have watered them every few days. My level of success depends on how you measure success.


Do you measure success by the height of the plants? I'VE SUCCEEDED! These plants are well above my head!
Do you measure success in the amount of time you spent relaxing while watering, planting, and taking your child's fingers out of the dirt?
I'VE SUCCEEDED YET AGAIN!
Or, do you perhaps measure success by the amount of tomatoes actually produced and eaten?

Here it is, my one and only tomato! I am quite proud of it, and hope it ripens so we can actually eat the fruit of my labor! Mmmm... Thank you, Memphis.

10 comments:

Jessica said...

I have learned that the more you water them, the bigger they will grow. If you want them to rippen, stop watering them. My tomatoes didn't rippen until I stopped watering my garden completely.

THE BLAIRS said...

We tried to do a big garden out here too. I saw the same measure of success that you had.. =) big beautiful plants with not a lot of eatins..=)

K.E.N said...

one is better than none so you are a success again.

Caitlyn said...

Yay! I wish we had a garden. Will and I were just talking about how pretty Addie is getting. Her eyes are beautiful!

Tiff Rudd said...

Your one tomato looks beautiful! Next year when you have a ton of tomatoes - will you share them with me! I love garden tomatoes! YUMMY!

Lady Carolyn said...

I am proud of you and your one tomato. I kill plants. You should have seen my "garden" last year. it was like a vegetable cemetery. good job! :)

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

Wow. I'm so glad someone else had tomato failure this year too. Our plants did the exact same thing. Well at least we had greenery! and happy babies that help water!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is lol!!

Heather said...

If you pick the suckers off you'll have better luck with getting tomatoes to grow. The suckers are at the intersection of where a branch is going off from the main stem. Your single tomato is very cute, though. Good luck next year.

Shannon said...

That's one fine looking tomato you got there. ;)