Friday, January 28

mommy moment: THE BOWL

After a particularly stressful/tiring day and night, I've decided to focus on the funny moments that make up a mother's life. So, whenever you see a "mommy moment" post on my blog you'll know I've needed a little redirection in my thinking!

The Bowl

Carson is less than two weeks old and I am enjoying a rare, quiet moment bonding with my newborn son. As I nurse him on the couch, Macie sits cuddled next to us. She has a slight fever and I can tell she isn't feeling very well. Addie, as usual, runs wildly.

After several, nearly blissful, moments, Macie starts throwing up. Mommy reflexes kick in (you know, the kind that wipe snot without a thought, that clean dirty fingers with your tongue when the wipes aren't handy). My hands shoot out, gladly catching the putrid interloper, just to save myself the trouble from cleaning the couch later.

"Addie, please run into the kitchen and get me a bowl!"

"Where, Mom?"

"The bowls on the bottom shelf, the ones you and Macie always pull out and play with on the floor!"

With the aggravating innocence that only three-year-olds posses, she calls out, "Which ones, Mom? Where?"

While still holding the puke, still nursing, still laughing to myself that I'm even in this position and think I can handle three children, I continue to holler, "A bowl! A bowl! ANY BOWL YOU CAN FIND!"

All I hear is a bunch of rustling kitchen-type noises. Rattling metal pans, dropped utensils, the blender flung on the ground. And then, ah, triumph! "Mom, I got it! I'm coming, Mom!" Addie runs around the counter, dodges the love seat, and finally hands me my salvation...

...the colander.

17 comments:

Jessica said...

That's awesome! I love kids thinking. So cute!!

The G-5+2 said...

Thanks for sharing. I need to remember to look for the funny moments on my hard days.

Mallory and Wendell said...

oh my goodness. That is hilarious! I can just picture the whole scene in my mind. :)

Katie Leigh said...

We actually had a bowl named "The Puke Bowl" for such occasions. It was a horrible olive green '70s-era Tupperware bowl that never got used for anything afterward. But at least we always knew what to get when mom yelled, "Go get The Puke Bowl!"

Hillary said...

What a sweet story. Now you can hand it down for generations to come. It is so important to laugh at times like those. It's hard for me to remember that, so thanks for reminding me.

Brink said...

This is AWESOME!

Nicole said...

I love this story. We all need to just laugh and enjoy our mommy moments!

Unknown said...

I especially enjoyed your punctuation at the end of that story. Shauna told me about this post, but it was so much funnier the way you wrote it!

Dan said...

I can't stop laughing! I love it!!

Shannon said...

That is...hilarious. :)

Gemarie said...

ROFL

Anonymous said...

LOL! Thank you for my first laugh of the day!! :)

Anonymous said...

LOL! Thank you for my first laugh of the day!! :)

Katie said...

oh the irony!! a colander??!! oh man. it's so funny though. we really do get in the darndest situations don't we. and depending my mood or how much sleep i've gotten - it's either hilarious or totally defeating. i look forward to the hair schweedahts mommy moments. i thing our greatest challenge is finding joy & humor in the mundane and messiness. oh and by the way - you are so radiant. and a great primary chorister.

Eva Hair said...

thank you for making my day!!! Hilarious!!!

Zach and Nikky said...

HA HA HA! Oh that just made my night!

Bridgette said...

JANA!!! I'm DYING!! That is SO funny! It sounds like you were able to laugh during the whole thing too...that's awesome! Love your stories.