Wednesday, February 2

mattresses

Last night I woke up around 3 am to feed Carson, who was sleeping beside me. Macie was sleeping next to Jason, who had somehow suckered him into allowing her to sleep in our bed. This isn't too uncommon in our house, we're a family of snugglers. After Carson was finished eating, Addie woke up and asked to come in our bed, too. I was firm and she did spend the rest of the night in her own bed, but that isn't always the case. While the four of us snuggled together in bed, to help me fall asleep, I started writing this poem in my head and finished it this morning. I thought it'd be something fun to share. Oh yeah, and Jason doesn't usually snore, but it has been known to happen! :)

MATTRESSES

When we were first married
Being close was our goal
Head on his shoulder
We slept on a Full

Welcome Baby Number One
Skinny body, blonde head
Co-sleeping meant sleep!
And she slept in our bed

A few months of that
My body soon shouted
“I need my space!
This Full is too crowded!”

Enter Baby Number Two
And I was quite keen
On getting my rest
Mom, Dad, Baby and new Queen

Much sooner than later
Came Baby Number Three
We bundled him up tight
Between Husband and me

And now that they’re older
They all sleep alone
But as parents, we’re softies
And we have been known…

To wake up in the morn
With three kids beside us
After the kicking and rolling
To grin and delight us

Late last night I awoke
With an elbow in my face
A leg on my stomach
Feet all over the place!

A baby to my left
Two sweet blondes over there
My husband was snoring
An entire family of Hair!

And year after year
As the kids keep on growing
Our bed, sadly, does not
And now Queen’s overflowing!

So, King, if you could
Make an appearance tonight
Rescue my family,
Solve our snuggling plight!

10 comments:

Katie said...

ha ha - love the poem. didn't know you wrote poems... in your head... in the middle of the night. i like it. might take up such a hobby.

Hillary said...

Very cute.

Jana said...

Haha, the funny thing is I don't normally write poems in my head in the middle of the night. Ha. I was just laying there thinking about our bed OVERFLOWING with bodies, esp. as the kids keep GROWING...and I couldn't help myself! :)

Jana said...

My favorite lines are "My husband was snoring, An entire family of Hair!"

I now just love my last name, it's so funny. Took some getting used to, though. Ha.

The G-5+2 said...

That was a great poem. I am impressed that you could remember all of it when you woke up.

Zach and Nikky said...

You are hilarious. I miss hanging out with you!

Brink said...

Hysterical. You ARE creative. :)

Eva Hair said...

Very talented!!! You always make my day!! Hilarious--I could picture it all and had to laugh!!

Anonymous said...

I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommended by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.

Unknown said...

Jana I loved that poem! You're awesome! I love how your matress grows as your family does. I hope you write more poems some day!