Thursday, May 15

getting creative: PART 2

I've had several people ask how I made the Addie sign.

1. Painted the whole wooden "plate" with a rose color, let it dry
2. I made my own stencils. You could probably print some pictures off the computer, but I free-handed the five different shapes I used for the background (star, bear, flower, butterfly, heart).
3. Transferred the shapes onto cardstock and cut them out
4. Traced the shapes with pencil onto the wood
5. Painted those in with light pink, let it dry
6. Erased any pencil still showing with a regular eraser
7. Chose a font I liked on the computer (Curlz) and made it the right size (I think it was 450)
8. Transferred those letters onto cardstock and cut them out
9. Repeated steps 4 to 6
9. Wa lah! A beautiful sign!

The whole project took me two nights, about 4 hours total. I used regular acrylic paint. I'm glad y'all like it!

5 comments:

THE BLAIRS said...

WOw i am impressed! I cant paint that well even with stencils! What are you plans for the summer? is Jason working?

Anonymous said...

Wow I always have loved your Calligraphy boards I still love mine ....Can't wait to see you guys again!!

insi said...

lettering has always been your forte. very cool.

Tiff Rudd said...

Thanks for the info! Can't wait to try it our on my preschool walls. You still want to help? :)

Jami said...

I really thought I already commented on your beautiful sign, but I see I have not. I would never, not ever, be able to replicate it but I think it is adorable. Have you thought about marketing signs like that? Like, to me?