Thursday, April 14

the race

Well, I'm sorry to say I didn't achieve my goal. My ONLY goal was to run the entire race...but when around mile 4 my knee felt like it was going to cave in and I was going to collapse on the side of the road, I thought I should walk. Walk, run, walk, run, walk, run...for 9 miles. All in all, I think I ended up walking between 3 and 4 miles total. And I am pretty disappointed.



I struggled about whether I should suck it up, or be careful and save my knee. I'm glad I didn't push it because I was limping for two days. Today is the first day I can't feel my knee when I walk. Ugh, it is frustrating. I'm more proud of my 11 mile run than I am of the race, and that is sad. I'm supposed to run another one the end June with my sister Hillary. I'm going to take the training a little easier towards the end so I can hopefully run the entire thing. So, after a week off, we'll see how my run on Saturday goes. I will keep running these races until I do the whole thing RUNNING!


But hey...I FINISHED!

9 comments:

Dad said...

Don't beat yourself up about not running the entire race; the most important thing is that you completed the race and lived to tell about it. We are proud of you for setting such an ambitious goal and following through with it. Take it easy on your future training and don't do anything to jeopardize your knee; you want to be able to walk normally after all is said and done.

Paul and Em said...

You are my hero...Congrats on finishing! PS your children are adorable!

Paul and Em said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Giggles said...

Yea you finished!!

The only races I don't walk for are 5Ks. Everything else I at least walk through the water breaks.

I know Runner's World has a lot of information about strengthening your tendons to support your knees and hips that you can find for the future. I finally figured out that all of my knee problems were the result of weak hips that couldn't keep me steady and left the knees to try to make up the difference.

Lisa said...

I am way proud of you! Yeah! You look great.

Unknown said...

What you did is incredible, Jana! Better to save your knee and be able to run on it later than hurt yourself and not be able to run at all!

Eva Hair said...

Jana--I have problem with my knees and I have felt accomplished for what I have been able to do--but 11 miles!! and finishing--what an accomplishment. You are a great achiever in anything you do--so know that you did your best and another time is around the corner. Hope you are feeling better. Say hi to everyone!! Hope to see you in May!
Love Mom Hair

Zach and Nikky said...

Good job finishing Jana! I am very proud of you!! :)

Jared, Miranda and Max said...

Yay for you! I'm so sad I couldn't be there to run with. :( I ran a 5k yesterday and hope to do a half before the summer's out.