Monday, June 2

Memphis Monday: THE ZOO

I went to the Memphis Zoo today with my friend Shauna and her kids. Her family bought a family pass and a guest pass, so now Addie and I can go with her any time we want! This was my first time going and I was excited because this zoo has pandas!

Two big eaters--Addie and the female panda.

It was the first time in all my years of zoo-going that I have ever seen a live panda bear! They didn't do much, just sat there and chomped on bamboo the entire time, but it was still neat to see them. (Did you know they eat 40 pounds of bamboo every day? Just another tidbit learned at the zoo.)


Addie watching the sea lions.

Memphis has a great zoo. Unfortunately we weren't able to see it all, the kids were getting tired and cranky, but what a I saw I loved (and as many of you know, I am an avid zoo goer and take my praise seriously). The exhibits were bright and open (for the most part, the poor hippos left something to be desired), the paths were lined with bamboo and other interesting plants, and the plaques next to the exhibits were informational.

In the Butterfly House

The Butterfly House was the highlight for me, there were TONS of butterflies flitting about, and the ceiling was just a screen so it was open to the outdoors. All other butterfly houses I've been in have been in closed buildings, so this was pretty neat. And the very best thing about the zoo? It's FREE to Tennessee residents every Tuesday afternoon for "Tennessee Tuesday." All in all, I love this zoo and am glad we'll get to visit regularly for the next 3 years.


Me, Addie and Heidi enjoying the butterflies

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are lucky to live so close to a zoo. We haven't been to a zoo since Ethan was born and he loves animals so much! Hopefully we are going to go to Hogle Zoo this summer. Six hours away and it is our closest real zoo!

Zach and Nikky said...

FUN! I love the pic of Addie with the panda bear! -Nikky

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

Looks like fun. Sam went to the zoo with my mom and his cousin for the first time this month too. I had to work :(

Terry said...

I am so jealous, they don'e have a panda at our zoo;(
Aub