Monday, July 28

Memphis Monday: LDS MEMPHIS TEMPLE

One of the greatest blessings of living in Memphis is that our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has a temple only 15 minutes from where we live.

In our church we do our Sunday worshipping at a church building, just like many other religions. Temples, however, are reserved for more holy and sacred worship. For Latter-day Saints (Mormons) temples are considered the most sacred places on earth, and within their walls you can escape the world and be near to God.

Not everyone can enter the temples. In order to enter you must hold yourself to a high standard of moral cleanliness and have a testimony of Jesus Christ's role as our Savior. For me, as for many LDS members, the temple stirs tender feelings of love and respect. It was in a temple in Utah that Jason and I were married for time AND eternity. The knowledge that Jason, Adelyn, and I, and our future children, can be a forever family is the single greatest blessing in my life.

To date, there are more than 100 temples worldwide. I remember growing up in Michigan and traveling 5 hours to visit the temple in Toronto, Canada until one was built outside of Detroit. I am indeed grateful to live near the Memphis Temple, and was thankful to be able to attend with my parents when they were here. I look forward to many many more visits.

For more information about LDS temples, click here.

1 comment:

Caitlyn said...

Hey Jana! You're such a great missionary! You explain things better than I ever could!