Thursday, December 16

four weeks, three kids, two days, one tongue

FOUR WEEKS. Carson is four weeks old today! He is such a good baby. He usually goes four hours in between feedings, can sleep through almost anything, and is gaining weight like a champ. Will I have my first chubby baby after all? Unlikely. But he IS getting heavy! He is so handsome, too. He definitely looks like a boy, but not like an old man boy baby. He is just small and sweet and handsome! The pictures honestly don't do him justice.

THREE KIDS. Everyone seems to want to know "how is life with three kids?" Honestly, not too bad. More hectic, more crying, more mess...but (now to the cheesy part) more giggles, more kisses, more love. The girls just LOVE their brother, they would love him to death if we'd let them, and I just love seeing how much they love him. He is constantly being kissed, hugged, patted, tickled, held. He is brought endless blankets, pacifiers, burp rags, toys, and socks. They can be bribed to do ANYTHING as long as their reward has something to do with Carson. The only thing that I really hate about having three kids is trying to go anywhere with all of them. It's ridiculous how long it takes to get out the door!

TWO DAYS. We are all going to pile into our Nissan Maxima (yes, three car seats jammed in the back seat) and drive for 12 hours to Michigan in just TWO DAYS! I can't wait! Getting there and back may be rough, but I am thrilled to see my family and show off my adorable children. We'll be back here on the 23rd for our own Christmas, but get to share the before-Christmas festivities with my family. My sister Kari had a little girl, Lucy, on Dec 1st, so there will be two cute little babies around to snuggle. The bonus? Carson and Lucy are both going to receive their baby blessings from their daddies this Sunday. What a great day to share with a cousin! Oh yeah...Anyone want to let us borrow their van? Pleeeeeease??? :)


ONE TONGUE. Carson was born tongue-tied. I didn't even know that was something other than an expression until he was two weeks old. That means the connective tissue from his tongue to the bottom of his mouth (the frenulum linguae) connected at the tip of his tongue, preventing him from sticking his tongue out or touching his tongue to the roof of his mouth. In some people this doesn't ever cause a problem, but in others it can affect speech and teeth growing in properly. We opted to get his clipped. On Tuesday I took him to the ENT, they took out some scissors and *snip snap* clipped his frenulum. Good thing he won't remember any of it, it was so sad to watch. They did numb the area and put on silver nitrate to cauterize it, but he wasn't very happy. It took him a little while to figure out how to latch properly again, but he seems to be just fine now.


A pre-clipping picture. Can you spot my frenulum? (I hope you all enjoy your new vocab word.)

5 comments:

The G-5+2 said...

I can't believe that Carson is a month old already. I was so sad I didn't get to come snuggle him today. I would so let you use our van but we don't fit in a car so sorry about that. I hope you have a wonderful trip. We will have to get together when we both get back.

Keri said...

We're going to Michigan for Christmas too! Unfortunately, we're driving up on the 24th, so we will just miss each other. I'm glad to hear life with three is going well. I love reading your blog updates. Addie looks so grown up!

Bridgette said...

What a fun post! You have a darling family. He really is a handsome boy! I do wish we lived closer to you guys go see you. :) Merry Christmas and I hope you travel safely!

Gemarie said...

Love my nephew and nieces they are beautiful babies!

Sarah said...

I actually already knew what a frenulum was because Angela has a really short tongue so we always tease her she should have her frenulum clipped and I also have a friend from high school whose baby was born tongue tied as well. I had no idea it was that common!