Saturday, January 19

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall

Our book club book this month is The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte. It is a Victorian novel and is written by the sister of the more famous Bronte's, Charlotte and Emily. I'm having mixed feelings about it, and while Jason must be getting tired of me discussing them with him, the blog is now my outlet.

All along I have been drawn to the characters in the book as well as the plot. It is said to be one of the first fictional feminist texts ever written, as it discusses several radical ideas at the time: a woman's role in marriage being more than just the housekeeper and socialite, the responsibilties of the husband towards his wife and family's emotional well-being as well as temporal, and the true meaning of one's "duty to God." It is about a woman in a horrible marriage, trying to figure out how she can take back her life and that of her son's. I feel for Helen and yet I am struggling to finish it.

The author is e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y l-o-n-g-w-i-n-d-e-d, and the story itself is written in a rather silly way. It's a letter from Gilbert to his friend explaining how he meets Mrs. Helen Graham, and the remaining 3/4 of the book consists of Gilbert copying verbatim Mrs. Graham's diary for his friend to read (where she verbosely records all dialogue with her first husband and her miserable existence). It's so unlikely (no, it's impossible) that anyone would, first of all, write down exceedingly long conversations with others in their diary, pass it on for another to read, and then have that person copy the diary in its entirety for someone else. It bugs me. I only have about 60 more pages to go, and while I'm excited to see how it all ends, I think it could have been concluded 30 chapters ago.

3 comments:

The Hungry Homemaker said...

Well, that's one book I won't read:) Thanks for the heads up. Our book club just finished a book called The Ladies Auxiliary. It is based on a Jewish community in Memphis! I think you should read it, and then go find out where this Jewish community is, and take a drive through, then tell me all about. It is a great book... fiction, but based on the real Memphis Jewish Community. Good luck finishing your book!

shauna said...

My goal for these next four years is to find a book that we both love equally. Somewhere in the vast numbers of literary achievements there has to a one book that we will both find enjoyable. And, for the sake of telling the story, the diary is very detailed. It wouldn't work if she forgot has of the dialog. Also, I don't think that he recopies her journal but instead he kept it and shared it. Either way I am now on a quest!

Caroline Tung Richmond said...

Ugh, I can empathize with you, Jana. I have a hard time reading 19th century British literature. That's why I've never read a Jane Austen book. I know, a tragedy. But I just can't get into them.

Although I must say Tess of the D'Urberville's is one of the best books I've ever read. Yet it was one tough read too. I probably wouldn't have finished it if I hadn't had to read for an English class.