Wednesday, March 19

Florida vs. Nursing

Jason and I are taking a vacation to Florida the first week of May! The Taylors offerred to watch Addie for six days (I know, I am still amazed by how blazingly amazing they are) and Jason and I will be off for some alone time! We're staying 2 days in Ft. Lauderdale, 2 days in Orlando, and 2 days on a short cruise to the Bahamas. I've been going running this week in anticipation of the trip, I want to feel semi-decent in a bathing suit. We're so excited to go!

Because of the looming vacation, I've had to start weaning Addie. It's been an emotional journey for me, I LOVE nursing her. The bond I feel with her is so strong, and the tender moments shared while feeding her have been very difficult to let go. I'm doing it slowly, I'm now down to nursing her just 2 times a day, and have been letting go of one feeding every two weeks. It's been hard, for me and her, but mostly for me. I can tell when she wants to, mostly for comfort, and it hurts to have to say no. I would glady nurse her for at least one year, that was my original goal, so I feel bad to have to stop at 10 months. I know that's longer than many women, but for me, it doesn't feel long enough. This vacation, however, is very important for Jason and I, we need some time together, so the sacrifice is worth it. I have just been making a determined effort to hold her more than usual to make up for that contact. There will be other babies, afterall, and other ways for me to create special moments with her specifically.

3 comments:

The Hungry Homemaker said...

Jana you are so lucky! You should try the work out P90X. Trent and I just started it and it is killer, but if you stick to their program, you are supposed to have a beach body in 90 days. Good luck with the nursing. Tanner started weaning himself at about 10 months, it was way harder for me than for him! But slow is good, it takes the pain out of it, if you know what I mean.

THE BLAIRS said...

How fun! We have been dying to get to Florida for a vacation. Nick will be SO jealous (as Orlando is where he served his mission) but you'll have to tell us all about it when you get back! Dont worry about the nursing.. Who knows.. maybe next month she would decided she was done anyway.. That happens a lot! one day they want it.. the next they don't! have fun!

Hillary said...

How did you luck out so huge? Charlie and I haven't had a vacation for just us, well, ever. We dreamed of going on a cruise for our 10 year anniversary but that has come and gone. We still want to go on a cruise some day. I hope you guys had lots of fun.