Wednesday, February 6

Brooks Museum and first word

My friend Shauna, her two cute little girls, Addie and I all packed up and went to the Brooks Museum this morning. Neither of us has seen much of Memphis' sites, so we thought this would be a fun thing to do. The museum is "pay what you can" on Wednesday, so we were actually able to afford it!

I love museums, I love to read all the plaques about what things are. However, while I love to look at the paintings, sculptures, and photographs, there is much that I don't undertand or appreciate. In the pop-culture portion of the museum there was a huge white canvas with a thin rectangle painted gray and two keyboards hanging up beside it. What the heck was that for? It didn't make any sense to me. There was also a pretty cool painting in black and white of a woman that was titled "Woman in the Green Blouse." Good thing it told us she was in green! There was a sculpture made completely out of shredded tires, which I thought was original and pretty neat. There is also a small exhibit going on right now about Martin Luther King Jr., which I enjoyed. At least the plaques were interesting. Overall, I liked it. It's a small museum so it didn't take long to go through the whole thing, and while there wasn't anything for the kids to do, it was fun to do something different. Here is a picture of them in front of an extremely strange display that didn't make any sense to us.

Also, Addie said her first word the other day. I doubt it was on purpose, but we were lucky to get it on film. You can also hear how excited Jason is about it! It was cute. Sorry it's sideways, it takes FOREVER to upload on to the post and I didn't want to do it again.


8 comments:

shauna said...

I can't tell you how many times I have turned the camera thinking it would magically turn the picture I was recording as well. I like the picture except that you can't see mary's neon head or the creepy baby jesus!

Daniel Moroni Hair said...

That is awesome guys!

K.E.N said...

First of all: congratulations Jason on being Addie's first word. Eric and I agree that she said Dada on purpose. Second: we appreciate the art behind you in photo-it inspires us :) And lastly: we think it a little funny how small Addie is in the stroller compared to the other little girl.

Micaela said...

Addie said dada as clear as day and i thought that it was the sweetest little thing! I listened to it 3x it was so cute!

Jami said...

Amira and I watched Addie's movie together, and Amira was quite excited. I love Jason's response. Jana, I will call you soon. Everytime I go to dial your number I realize it is late in TN. Darn these time zones!

Family Vision Care of Bountiful said...

That video is so cute!! The best part is Jason's reaction!! When Cameron was little he would say "DaDa" when he was happy and "MaMa" only when he was sad. :) It is so fun when they start to talk!

Erica Yates said...

Wow Jas.. what happened to your voice? It's so high. Is there something we've missed? ;) Congrats on being her first word. Hopefully mama follows quickly!

Anonymous said...

Wow... That was price less and Addie couldn't understand the excitement..lol!! Well that is neat I can't wait to see her again! It is so so long away